Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

If upon entering an order modifying the custodial and legal rights of a parent, there remains no parent having parental rights, the Tribal Court shall determine whether the child shall continue to remain under care and placement responsibility of the KCWS for the purpose of placing the child for adoption, or in the absence of an adoptive home, KCWS may place the child in a licensed foster home or with an extended family member, guardianship or take other suitable measures for the care and welfare of the child.

The order shall specify the permanency plan for the child and if the child will be placed for adoption order that efforts be made to locate an appropriate adoptive family for the child within a period not to exceed one hundred eighty (180) days.

Appoint, consistent with Tribal placement preferences, a relative or relatives, extended family member or Tribal member as legal guardian or guardians for the child, and order that letters of guardianship be issued; or order an alternative permanent placement plan for the child.

Where a child is appointed a legal guardian, as distinct from a placement into foster care, the legal guardian shall have the authority to consent to the adoption of the child, the marriage of the child, the enlistment of the child in the armed forces of the United States, necessary care including but not limited to surgical and other medical treatment for the child and consent to such matters as might normally be required of the child’s parent. [Res. 22-R-037, 2/24/2022; Res. 09-R-062 Title 1 § (21)(Q), 4/30/2009. Formerly 10.10.730.]