Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

(A) Original Action. A case is started in the Karuk Tribal Court by the filing of the first papers with the Clerk of the Court and payment of a filing fee, if required, by the party bringing the case.

(1) Petition. The first paper filed in a case is called a petition. In some cases, the requirements for the contents of the petition will be as set forth in the relevant law. Otherwise, petitions must generally include a short and plain but complete statement of the facts of the case, a statement of the way in which the rights of the party bringing the petition were violated, and a statement of the relief the party is seeking (what the party starting the case wants the Court to do). The party bringing the case is called “plaintiff” or “petitioner.”

(2) Transfer Cases. In some cases, a case in the Tribal Court may begin with the transfer of a case from another jurisdiction, or a current Tribal Court case may be transferred to another jurisdiction upon successful petition to do so.

(3) Interventions. In some cases, a person or entity may petition the Tribal Court to intervene in a case to become a party. If the Court grants the petition, the person becomes a party to the case and is called an “intervenor.”

(B) Summons to Appear. The Court may issue a summons and notice of hearing directing a party to any case pending in Tribal Court to appear at a hearing. The summons shall be personally served at least three (3) calendar days (calendar days are all days in a month, including weekends and holidays) before the time stated for the appearance. Service by certifed mail or publication may be made as necessary.

(C) Fax Filing. The Court allows filing of documents by fax, provided the filing party contacts the Clerk of the Court to obtain the proper form, procedure and consent for such fax filings. [General Order 19-001, 6/21/2019.]